019467 25640 (Phone)
Documents

Drigg & Carleton Parish Council Minutes July 14/07/2022

Minutes Uploaded on July 21, 2022

Drigg and Carleton Parish Council

 

MINUTES OF THE JULY 2022 ORDINARY MEETING OF THE

DRIGG AND CARLETON PARISH COUNCIL

Held in Drigg Village Hall on 14th July 2022 at 7.30 pm

 

Attended:           John Jennings                                  (Chair)

Suey Browne

Keith Hitchen

Jimmy Naylor

Justine Robinson                             (Responsible Financial Officer)

Karen Warmoth                              (Clerk)

 

Apologies:          Andy Pratt                                        (Vice-Chair)

Keith Murray

Jo Whyte

 

  • Minutes of the Ordinary Meeting held on 14th June 2022
    1. Resolution to approve the minutes of the meeting on 14th June 2022 as a true and accurate record was proposed by KH and seconded by SB with all in favour
  • Minutes of the Extra Ordinary Annual General Meeting held on 27th June 2022
    1. Resolution to approve the minutes of the meeting on 27th June 2022 as a true and accurate record was proposed by SB and seconded by KH with all in favour
  • Resolution: the minutes of both meetings in June 2022 were approved
  • Apologies for absence: see above
  • Parish Clerk
    1. Letter of thanks: it was resolved to draft a letter of thanks to Mr Millington for his years of service to the Parish Council from 2006 to 2022
    2. Appointment of a new Clerk: Karen Warmoth was duly appointed as Clerk to the Parish Council with immediate effect (employment contract pending)
    3. Parish documents: PC documents handover is ongoing. Hardcopy documents have been given to JJ to sort prior to passing on to the new Clerk; electronic documents to be sent via memory stick. Textbook Arnold-Baker on Local Council Administration given to the new Clerk

 

Action 7/1: Clerk to draft letter of thanks for Chair to approve, sign and send

Action 7/2: Clerk to inform CALC and Copeland Borough Council of the change of Clerk

Action 7/3: Clerk to research the option and costs of studying for a CiLCA qualification

Action 7/4: KH to research job description and employment contract for the Parish Clerk and send sample documents to JJ

Action 7/5: JJ to sift documents for relevance and decide on material for archiving

 

 

  • Financial Matters
    1. Finance Report: the balance is £6,668.79 (payment of £363.95 paid to the Parish Council by Drigg Charity in respect of services by the Clerk and RFO as Secretary and Treasurer respectively)
    2. Dates to makes Parish Council Accounts Available: the Accounts were made available on 28th June 2022 until 8th August 2022 via the website and Parish noticeboard
    3. Payments online: it was resolved to authorise the RFO to make payments online when the payment has been minuted and approved by the Parish Council as soon as the Parish Council has an online banking facility in place (per the revised Standing Orders, 2022)
    4. Payments:
      1. TR Publishing: Tethera invoice for £75 was delegated to the Drigg Charity as the cost is related to a community benefit
      2. Clerk’s invoice: invoice 3 covering May and June 2022 for £281.12. Of this £56.22 will be paid to HMRC as PAYE and £4 expenses (total payment to Clerk of £228.90, cheque number 000891)
  • RFO’s invoice: invoice covering March to June 2022 for £379.01. Of this £75.80 will be paid to HMRC as PAYE (total payment to RFO £319.69 incl expenses, cheque number 000892)
  1. HMRC: total payment of £132.02 to be made by Direct Debit via the HMRC website
  2. Employees’ invoices: KH proposed payments to the HMRC and to the officers are paid, seconded by SB, all in favour
  3. Auditor’s fee: cost of £75 paid out
  • Data Protection: fee renewal of £40 paid out
  1. Managing invoices: the Clerk of the Parish Council shall email the Secretary to the Drigg Charity requesting payment for services of the Secretary and Treasurer of the Charity
  2. CALC invoice TR2412: the Clerk training invoice has been paid but payment queried by CALC. Clerk to review and establish if further payment is due. Payment to CALC of up to £20 is approved if it proves that the invoice is outstanding
  3. Training budget: proposed by KH that the Clerk should attend CiLCA training funded by the PC, seconded by SB with all in favour, since the PC will achieve Quality Council status with a CiLCA qualified Clerk

 

Action 7/6: Clerk to email the Secretary to the Drigg Charity requesting reimbursement for services

 

  • Actions and Matters Arising from previous Council meetings
    1. Action 5/3: JJ to confirm whether Highways would need to be notified re the siting of a bench on a pavement – ongoing
    2. Action 6/1: completed
    3. Action 6/2: data from Copeland Housing Needs Survey 2020 relating to Drigg and Carleton to be reviewed by KH and discussed at the next meeting
    4. Action 6/3: AP reported by email that he may be able to secure a Planning Officer to speak to the PC re Housing Needs in September (possibly via Teams)
    5. Action 6/4: completed
    6. Action 6/5: completed
    7. Action 6/6: completed

 

Action 7/7: KH to review housing needs data for this Parish and report findings to the next meeting

 

  • Reports from County and District Councillors
    1. County: KH reported on the Planting for Pollinators scheme, requiring a map of recommended appropriate sites and soil sampling. Current sites for grass cutting might be used which would save money as the wildflower meadow will not need cutting (apart from a one metre strip at the edge of the pavement)

 

Action 7/8: KH to request that Drigg and Carleton should be included in the Planting for Pollinators scheme

Action 7/9: KH to research whether drainage work on the B5344 is due shortly which might affect the sites chosen for a wildflower meadow

 

  1. Copeland: nothing to report
  2. Cumberland: moving forward with large collective budgets. By November 2022, staff will know where they will be located. The Unitary Council has a blueprint for community operations with high level of involvement with town and parish councils; currently discussing delegation of responsibilities
  3. Coastal Committee: no meeting this month – nothing to report

 

  • Public Participation
    1. No members of the public attended or asked to speak

 

  • Main Business
    1. Community Communications: Beach Monitoring consultation by Sellafield attended by KH, the Chairs of Gosforth and St Bees PCs and an Allonby councillor. There is no plan to change the current monitoring as levels of particles are declining substantially (with a spike in levels on the north of the coastline due to the drift north)
    2. CLP: the CLP is a live document subject to ongoing review

 

Action 7/10: JJ to update and circulate KH’s suggested amendments to the CLP

 

  • Received communications
    1. Emergency Plan: query whether a resilience plan is needed? Other agencies cater for emergencies, eg Sellafield. Difficult to plan for unknown contingencies. Website and Facebook pages likely to be used to communicate information in the event of an emergency
    2. WCH Hospital campaign: Cllr Dinsdale seeking support for his campaign to provide treatment at West Cumberland Hospital for stroke and heart conditions. Proposed by SB that the PC support this campaign, seconded by JJ, all in favour
    3. Zurich: noted that Zurich has changed it’s UK legal status. This will not affect the PC’s policy
    4. NACO guidance: receipt of confidential document noted
    5. Footpath maintenance: a parishioner asked a member before the meeting about the maintenance of a footpath and was directed to report the matter via the CCC website

 

  • Planning Applications
    1. Copeland Borough Council
      1. CBC Ref 4/22/2070/0O1 Land North of Station Road, Drigg: email correspondence about this matter clarified that the current size of the development precludes a planning condition regarding affordable housing. If the application extends to more than 10 dwellings, there will be affordable housing and terms favourable to local buyers to benefit the community. The members agreed by email that they were satisfied with this response and supported the application
      2. CBC Ref 4/22/2270/0F1: detached double garage, Southerly, Drigg: no loss of visual amenity due to high hedge. Surface water in the vicinity may be a problem due to ongoing drainage / flooding issues. PC has no objection to this application

 

 

 

 

  • Reports from Representatives
    1. GDF Mid Copeland Community Partnership:
      1. AP elected Chair of the GDF committee
      2. JJ unable to attend meetings mid-afternoon (monthly, Mondays 3 pm – 5.30 pm) and can no longer represent Drigg and Carleton Parish Council on the GDF committee. KH is now the CALC representative to the GDF and is unable to represent the Drigg and Carleton Parish Council. The Clerk would be available to represent the PC on this committee if eligible as an employee to do so

 

Action 7/12: KH to research whether the Clerk can represent the PC on the GDF committee

 

  1. LLWR / NWS Liaison: no meeting was held, nothing to report

 

  • Agenda for next meeting
    1. Update to the CLP to be discussed
    2. Copeland Housing Needs Survey 2020 – data for Drigg and Carleton (KH to review data)
    3. Delegated authority to the Clerk to deal with matters too late or too inconsequential for the PC meeting

 

  • Date of next meeting
    1. Meeting closed 9.26 pm
    2. Next meeting to be held on Tuesday 13th September 2022 at Drigg Village Hall at 7.30 pm

 

Karen Warmoth
Clerk
Drigg and Carleton Parish Council
15th July 2022

 

 

 

Summary of Action Points

 

 

Action 7/1: Clerk to draft letter of thanks for Chair to approve, sign and send

 

Action 7/2: Clerk to inform CALC and Copeland Borough Council of the change of Clerk

 

Action 7/3: Clerk to research the option and costs of studying for a CiLCA qualification

 

Action 7/4: KH to research job description and employment contract for the Parish Clerk and send sample documents to JJ

 

Action 7/5: JJ to sift documents for relevance and decide on material for archiving

 

Action 7/6: Clerk to email the Secretary to the Drigg Charity requesting reimbursement for services

 

Action 7/7: KH to review housing needs data for this Parish and report findings to the next meeting

 

Action 7/8: KH to request that Drigg and Carleton should be included in the Planting for Pollinators scheme

 

Action 7/9: KH to research whether drainage work on the B5344 is due shortly which might affect the sites chosen for a wildflower meadow

 

Action 7/10: JJ to update and circulate KH’s suggested amendments to the CLP

 

Action 7/11: KH to research whether the Clerk can represent the PC on the GDF committee